Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Op Shop Madness!

I have a short gripe about one of our local Op Shops. I went in the other day on my quest to find the perfect cake stand for the wedding cake. Because I’m on this vintage kick (hence the pink stripy background. It’s what I would imagine made the perfect home for warm peanuts at carnivals and fairs) I figured no stone left unturned. I also have found some great stuff for the kids at Op shops in the past. Anyway, no cake stand which doesn’t surprise me. If I had one, I would never let it go. It would become a family heirloom (because I’m a hoarder). Anyway, I found this very pretty black jumper with pink flowers on the front and it was brand new with the tag still attached that said $6.50. Of course I picked one up. My kids are not only eating us out of house and home, they grow out of their clothes at a phenomenal rate. Anyway, I get to the counter to pay for the jumper and a really pretty top and she tries to charge me $9.95. When I asked her what the? she says I’m supposed to only look at their tag and not the brand one. Again, what the?

Now, I’m not an uncharitable person. I always pay too much money at the Op Shop because I know it’s going to a good cause but being a charity, does that mean they can try and rip me off? First of all, I didn’t notice the second ticket so I wasn’t trying to be cagey. Second, I shop in there a bit for bits and pieces so it’s not like she hadn’t seen my face before. And third, don’t get huffy when I ask what the? I would have paid ten bucks for the jumper at Kmart or Target but you’re an OP SHOP!! The same one that wanted $250 for an antique chair that had staples in the skirt. Hello, any good bargain hunter would know that if it had been a truly untouched antique chair, it would have tacks in it like the useless but pretty chair next to my bed. All I can say is pffft! I would like to say that I won’t be going back in there but they have the cutest line of brand new stockings with love hearts and other shapes in them. I am a sucker for cute stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment